Because babies do not always arrive according to schedule it is a good idea to have a suitcase packed and ready to avoid last minute panics. Your hospital can advise you on what you need to pack for yourself and for your baby.
As a member of the Mediclinic Baby programme, you will be given a free mother and baby bag* when you arrive at the hospital, containing everything you need for the first few days.
- A pack of newborn nappies
- Baby wipes
- Petroleum jelly
- Surgical spirits
- Cotton wool
- Cleansing lotion
- Mediclinic Baby beanie
- Disposable panties
- Pack of maternity pads
- Small changing mat
- Contents may vary.
The Mediclinic Baby team has compiled a handy hospital checklist to help take the worry out of preparing for your hospital stay.
Packing for two
- Lightweight, front opening cotton pyjamas (one set per day)
- Three feeding bras
- Maternity pads
- Slippers and socks
- Hairdryer and brush
- Money (at own risk)
- Black pen and copies of ID documents of both parents (for birth registration)
- Set of clothes and shoes for going home.
- Two facecloths (preferably dark-coloured)
- All chronic medication, pregnancy vitamins, etc.
- Cellphone, charger and double adapter (at own risk)
- Camera and charger (at own risk)
If you are having a normal birth, as opposed to a caesarean, don't forget to bring:
- Energy sweets, lip balm and fruit juice
- Baby powder/oil for massage
- Comfortable T-shirt
- Magazines, games or books
Packing for baby
- Five sets of clean baby clothes; vest, babygro, wrapper/receiving blanket, socks, beanie
- One warm blanket
- If you are bottle feeding, our milk kitchens are fully stocked and equipped. You are welcome to bring your own bottles, teats, formula milk and sterilising unit if preferred
- Dummy and holder (optional)